[thechat] Presidenta Bachelet

Bob Davis bob at bobdavis.org
Tue Jan 17 13:53:53 CST 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 12:43 PM, javier velasco wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> I'd like to get some of your impressions on the coverage of the
> Chile's
> recent presidential election that gave us the first
> democratically-elected female president in latin america.

In all honesty, I've heard a lot more about the new president of
Liberia, who holds the same honor - first female president elected in
Africa.

Of course, this could just be a personal filter.

> Have you seen her bio?

No. I rally don't know anything about her. Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf is a
Harvard educated economist who used to work at the World Bank. Her
competition was a professional football (soccer) star.

A little reading about Bachelet shows her to be a very strong woman.

> In case you're wondering, I'm really happy about it, she's a strong
> and
> coherent person.

Excellent!

Let's hope they both do a good job! Liberia at least could certainly
benefit from some good leadership for a change.

Here's an article that covers both of them.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200601170395.html

bob