[thechat] Structural Music Theory - wuz - RE: ice cream songs

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Jan 20 07:30:00 CST 2006

On 17 Jan 2006, at 19:55, Luther, Ron wrote:

> I think this is a case where gib-fiddle player are at a serious
> disadvantage to
> keyboard monkeys. It's much much easier to "see" a second inversion
> on a
> keyboard than a fretboard.  I think that's why a lot of pickers
> keep a keyboard
> around for composition work.  [It don’t have to be a good one ... I
> picked up
> a mini-keyboard for $20 at a garage sale.]  I would recommend
> keeping an
> eye out for a cheap used keyboard.

Yeah, a lot of the way of thinking and (even more so) notation stems
back to continuo playing (ie harpsichord in-fill). Mostly, you're
getting a bassline and chord notation, and left to vamp the rest.
Ummm may get a scan or two online tonight/over the weekend.

>>> suggestions for bookish directions would be stupendous.
>
> For a 'real' music theory book, I would head out to any college
> bookstore at the
> beginning of the quarter/semester and pick up whatever they are
> using for class.
> (Too many choices at Amazon/B&N.)

Which was exactly the approach I was going for...

Cheers
Martin

 > http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/
Sell Cloth Nappies from your website: