[thechat] Grey Squirrel Cull in UK

Bob Davis bob at bobdavis.org
Tue Jan 24 10:30:46 CST 2006

On Jan 24, 2006, at 10:01 AM, Canfield, Joel wrote:

>> I'm too old now to try to hit a lightning fast rodent
>> from twenty paces much less go out stomping through the woods.
>
> when I lived in Texas, my neighbor Charlie used to come home from the
> woods with enough squirrel to feed his family of eight. thus
> explaining
> why *I've* never tasted squirrel - no leftovers. man he was a crack
> shot
> (ooh; oddly enough, he was sometimes also a crack*pot*)

I have a couple squirrel recipes. They're all basically the same.
Braising seems to be the most common method.

> I'm pretty sure I couldn't hit a holstein sleeping in the field, let
> alone one o' them microscopic flashes. besides, if I had to clean
> my own
> meat I'd be a vegetarian. (check your dictionary; the definition of
> 'squeamish' just says 'see "Joel")

I learned how to dress and quarter a deer last year. It's not too
complex - and, if you're the curious type - it's pretty cool. You
really get to see how an animal works. What they eat, what types of
injuries they sustain, what kind of condition they're in.

It certainly makes you think about what you're eating...

I waste very little venison. I remember what had to happen to get it
to my table.

I've never tasted squirrel. I'd love to get a chance to get some
rabbits though. They're yummy!

bob