[thechat] if I was really evil I would start a phone company and revel in being a monopoly

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org
Thu Feb 23 13:22:27 CST 2006

yesterday, mid-conversation, our home phone died. no dial tone.

also, no DSL. No home phone, no web server connection, no email.

SureWest says they'll check their equipment and respond within 48 hours.

No, not fix it, respond.

If it's not in their office, they'll *schedule* a tech to go out and
look.

We could be out of commission for *weeks* and there's nothing we can do
to escalate it. Even their business service would have only slightly
better response time.

One of the perks of living in San Diego was the constant battle by the
phone companies to steal us away from each other. Cheap rates, excellent
service, or we could have service switched by this afternoon.

Thank you, SureWest. The nanosecond I have another choice, you'll see
how effective your customer service program is.