[thechat] House vs. Spike

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 03:32:05 CDT 2006

On 12 Apr 2006, at 04:23, Chris Spruck wrote:

>> Since I've been off work I've started watching "House". When I
>> told my
>> wife that Hugh Laurie is a Brit she didn't believe me. (She later saw
>> an interview with him and now believes). As I've watched several
>> episodes of the show I have not caught one telltale speech nuance
>> that
>> would give Hugh away as anything but an American guy.
>
> If you like Hugh Laurie, I strongly encourage you to check out the
> 3rd season of the Black Adder series, Blackadder the Third (1987)
> and the 4th season, Blackadder Goes Forth (1989), (although IMO,
> not as good as the 3rd). In the 3rd, Laurie plays Prince George, a
> foppish, blithering idiot and foil to Rowan Atkinson as Black
> Adder, his personal butler. British comedy at it's best!!

+1 to that, with a sideserving of Jeeves & Wooster, not least because
he's with his long time collaborator Steven Fry.

In both of these, Laurie goes for his almost self-typecast English
Fop - when House came out, it was a shock to pretty much everyone in
the UK as such a radical departure for him.

But then,  who recognised Ewan McGregor's voice in Robots..?

Cheers
Martin
 > http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/
Sell Cloth Nappies from your website: