[thechat] Building a New House

Roger Austin raustin3 at nc.rr.com
Wed Jun 7 20:39:26 CDT 2006

Hershel Robinson wrote:

 > I was already laughing at the house vacuuming system. I have never
heard of this.

  Actually, whole house vacuuming systems are not all that rare
here in the US. A central vacuum is mounted in a garage or other
utility area with piping run to areas of the house. The electrics
are part of the tubing and low-voltage. You plug your tube with
the vacuum attachment and do your vacuuming without noise or
lugging of heavy things around. It isn't just for carpets, we
mostly have wooden floors.
Example: http://home.howstuffworks.com/central-vacuum.htm

  I didn't know your location. Israel reminds me of a post doc
friend from Israel who moved back from North Carolina after
his time was up. He crated all his family's possesions in all
types of wood planks that he was going to use to build
furniture later in Israel. I had a friend at a local saw
mill who cut him black walnut, white oak, maple, and a number
of other types of boards to make his crates. I always wondered
what happened to him and his wood. I hope that it all got over
the seas without someone prying off a few planks.

  Good luck on your new house. Photos, we need photos.

--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.