[thechat] Guitars and M&Ms -- wuz: RE: hospital costs

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue Sep 26 11:09:17 CDT 2006

Joel D Canfield

>>he said 'guitar' - that's the trigger to start a guitar thread, right?

<voice = 'phony French accent' /> But of course, mon amie!   ;-P

I saw this dope nylon string in a video on one of the Hispanic channels
last night.
Florentine cutaway with multiple light and dark tones on the front.
Looked like the
dark was overlaid on top of the light.  Dang!  I _have_ seen some
similar and even
more whack nylon string guitars, but I can't seem to google up the
manufacturer(s)
this morning.  Delgado maybe?  [Shoot!  I think I was browing through
some old
NAMM [1] reports when I saw them if that helps.]

We would, of course, be remiss if we didn't bring up the old connection
between
guitars and green M&Ms, right?

Once upon a time ... A long long time ago ... (back in the 1980's) ...
there was
a rock band, Van Halen, that was feeling a bit left out on the whole
'diva' thang.
Well, they decided one day to have a bit of fun and added some
ridiculous riders
to their contracts just to be silly and to make other people's lives
miserable.

One of the most famous of these riders was the demand to have a bowl
containing
only green M&Ms available in their dressing room. (This was back at a
time when
you couldn't buy a bag containing only green ones. Soooooo in order to
comply
with the contract, someone had to run out and buy a bunch of bags of
M&Ms and
then sort out the green ones for the band.)  Legend also has it that the
band
laughed their butts off in surprise when they found that they _did_ have
a bowl
of only green M&Ms in their dressing room.

RonL.

(Who will now take things from bad to worse by noting that the lead
character in
the last anime series he finished, "I My Me - Strawberry Eggs" [Izzat a
great name
or what?]  was often shown in the promos playing guitar or piano ...
Even though
he/she (you had to have seen the series) never actually played either
during the
series itself.)

[1] National Association of Music Merchants ... They hold a trade show
for the
dealers to check out the new toys to stock. Kind of a CES for guitars
(and other
Things) if you will. The 'oddities' report is my favorite. Here are the
last
two links:
http://www.otheroom.com/namm/guitars.html
http://www.otheroom.com/namm05/Guitars.htm