[thechat] Your dream house: what tech stuff?

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Sun Oct 22 18:19:22 CDT 2006

> having simply scanned the first chapter of this, it's already
> shaping
> up to be possibly the most sane book on architecture I've ready (and
> I've read a few) and profoundly influential on my thinking.

this is the original 1964 edition (thanks ENDLESSLY for the link, btw)
but the only changes in Charlie Wing's loving edits are updates to the
technological aspects. The philosophy is all in this original.

I've shown this book to quite a few folks (including more than one
architect I've worked for) and never gotten a pleasant response. I
always knew I'd find one other person who got it ;)

so I'll pass along the best book on auto mechanics ever written: "How to
Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" by John Muir (maintained by Tosh Greg after
Muir's death, and now on something like its 20th edition)

same no-nonsense thinking which was invaluable when I owned my '61
Beetle because of the detailed procedures, but carried over into years
of maintaining by cheap junkers for 20 years and kinda input itself into
my psyche

joel