[thechat] Energy Conservation (Was: Your dream house: what tech stuff?)

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Thu Oct 26 11:56:25 CDT 2006

The on-demand water heaters that I've seen here (Northwest US for what
its worth) are small and used almost exclusively for sinks. The idea is
that it reduces energy consumption by keeping a smaller amount of water
hot at one time and that it reduces water consumption because people
don't turn on the tap and then wait for the water to get hot. Since
sinks don't generally get the sustained high pressure usage that showers
do, it ends up being quite efficient as well as very convenient.

The Northwest is seeing quite the green building revolution. Two
Universities in Oregon now have programs to get people certified in
solar power maintenance, engineering and installation. I've also started
seeing more and more folks using alternate construction material such as
cob housing and straw-bale housing. It used to be quite difficult to get
permits approved for housing projects of that nature, but the regulatory
agencies have seemed to loosen up quite a bit recently.

I've been talking with friends about trying out a project on a farm
using lightweight aggregate concrete. Instead of using the traditional
dense rock, you use alternate aggregate material (locally, we'd probably
use volcanic rock). The result is a lightweight concrete that is easy to
  form in curves and arches and very easy to move around. It also has a
very high R-value, but that's not as big a deal in our climate here.

There's guy in Mexico who has a great site devoted to it called Flying
Concrete: http://www.geocities.com/flyingconcrete/

Enjoy,
Judah