[thechat] November means NaNoWriMo!

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Mon Nov 6 10:22:04 CST 2006

For all of you with waaaay too much time on your hands (and you know
who you are) ... a gentle reminder than November is once more upon
us.

For, as you all know, November means NaNoWriMo!
(Although the 'National' part does seems rather superfluous these days.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

And, for inspiration, I leave you with the winning entry from the 1993
Bulwer-Lytton contest for the worst conceivable opening line for a novel

(named after Bulwer-Lytton's "It was a dark and stormy night".  [1] One
of
Snoopy's favorite novels, well, along with "Six Bunny Wunnies in an
XKE").

"She wasn't really my type, a hard-looking but untalented reporter
from the local cat box liner, but the first second that the
third-rate representative of the fourth estate cracked open a new
fifth of old Scotch, my sixth sense said seventh heaven was as close
as an eighth note from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, so, nervous as a
tenth grader drowning in eleventh-hour cramming for a physics exam,
I swept her into my longing arms, and, humming 'The Twelfth of Never,'
I got lucky on Friday the thirteenth."

<admiringly />
Wow! They just don't write 'em like that anymore!
Maybe they never did!

RonL.

http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/

[1] Then again, maybe they did - but shouldn't have!  The full opening
line is, I believe:

"It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents--except at
occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind
which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies),
rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of
the lamps that struggled against the darkness."

 --Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, Paul Clifford (1830)