[thechat] Sony vaio and DVDs

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Sat Dec 23 10:20:03 CST 2006

Stéphane Deschamps wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Here's the situation: The lady and I being exhausted by the wee nights
> (evolt parents, I know you share my grudge), we decided the other day to
> watch a DVD in bed rather than on the couch, on the spanking vaio I
> bought last year, and on which, incredibly, I hand't read a DVD yet.
>
> And guess what? The image behaves like a 1900 movie, one frame every
> third second. (can you say "visual stuttering"?).
>
> Anybody's had this kind of problem with a laptop reading a DVD like it's
> learning how to read?

I'm assuming it's Windows, though I've had the same
issue with software DVD codecs on Linux.

It really depends on the player you're using.

"Get VLC", would be my suggestion.  Videolan.org.

Failing that, turn DMA on.

John Handelaar

E  john at handelaar.org    T +353 21 427 9033
M  +353 85 748 3790    http://handelaar.org