[thechat] Its Awfuwwy Kwiet Awound Here

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Thu Jan 25 10:13:30 CST 2007

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> Which, thankfully, brings us back to the original question:
>
> Will having David Beckham playing in the US *significantly* increase
> the American sports-watching public's awareness of, and appreciation
> for, soccer as a professional sport?

Given that, during the last World Cup, everybody
in the US who *did* want to watch games turned to
Globovision...

...I suspect that the main problem with take-up
isn't so much the game as it is the fact that US TV
refuses to cover it using people who can differentiate
their arses from their elbows.

FFS.  *Baseball* commentators whining all the way
through a match about how they don't know what's
happening[1], and people wonder why the viewers turn
over.

jh

[1] ...thus marking themselves as the dumbest fuckers
     alive.  a) No hands  b)  No violence  c)  Put the
     ball in that net over there.  See?  That's 95% of
     the time covered right there.  Wasn't hard, was it?
     "Offside" is a 10-second info-animation.

John Handelaar

E  john at handelaar.org    T +353 21 427 9033
M  +353 85 748 3790    http://handelaar.org