[thechat] Light Pipes (AND HEATING TOO)

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 07:08:54 CST 2007

On 7 Mar 2007, at 14:28, Luther, Ron wrote:

>>> http://www.devi.com/
>

> Hi Fred,
>

> Pretty neat.  Reminds me of flexwatt tape.  That stuff
> has been used for years by the DIY crowd for heating
> reptile rooms and the like ... but I don't see why
> it couldn't be used in other applications.
>
> http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/flexwire.shtml

Underfloor heating is good because it doesn't need to be as hot as
radiators. Plus, your feet are more heat-sensitive (and need to be
warmer for *you* to feel warm) than your head. So a gentle heat to
the feet is a much more energy efficient way of heating than
convecting radiators that just put a pool of hot air above your head.

This is why underfloor applications are *great* for ground-source
heat, which usually trickles in at the 40C mark for much of the year,
rather than the 80C of radiators. Now, if you can boost that *just a
bit* (by say Solar-thermal collector), then your efficiency spikes
quite impressively from 350% to 600%:
http://www.treehouseclapham.org.uk/ecobuilder39.html

Cheers
Martin