[thechat] politics

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Sat Mar 17 14:33:00 CDT 2007

Martin Burns wrote:
> On 17 Mar 2007, at 03:22, Erik Mattheis wrote:
>
>> Anybody have an opinion on private highways? Do the European ones
>> offer
>> advantages over publicly owned ones?
>
> Well, advantages if you can pay the toll, yes. In that you can get
> through the Birmingham area on a Friday afternoon within your own
> lifespan.

Dublin, genius-ly, has a big fat toll bridge slap
in the middle of the *only* road which goes around it.

And everybody has to throw coins in it.

Actually, if I get started on what's wrong with
Ireland's infrastructure we'll be here for several
months.

One more example:  the nearest transatlantic
airport from here [1] is 90 miles away.  There are no
trains, the bus takes THREE AND A HALF HOURS to get
there, and even if we did have a car it'd still be
nearly three hours away.

jh

[1]  Cork has a perfectly good, brand-new €200m airport [3]
      but a trilateral agreement between Ireland, the US
      and Canada prevents any scheduled flights at all
      other than from Dublin and Shannon, of which at least
      half *must* depart from Shannon.  This has been ruled
      illegal, so obviously [2] it's staying in place until
      early 2008.

[2]  Pro-Shannon lobbying seems to think that forcing people
      to use it is the only way of generating enough business
      to keep the area afloat.  It's between Ennis and
      Limerick - one of the most famous Irish names in the
      entire anglophone world - and it hasn't occurred to them
      to actually name the Airport after its location rather
      than a river it's near.

[3]  The new airport terminal, unlike the one next door which
      it replaces, does not have a large open fireplace with
      horse brasses hanging from it parked between passport
      control and the luggage carousel 25 feet therefrom.

John Handelaar

E  john at handelaar.org    T +353 21 234 9938
M  +353 85 748 3790    http://handelaar.org