[thechat] why are so many motorcycles still carburetted?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Mon Apr 2 12:48:36 CDT 2007

Joel D Canfield noted:

>>I'da thunk motorcycles would all have fuel injection, like
>>virtually all cars over here since the early 90s. James is
>>researching which Kawasaki to buy, and very few have fuel
>>injection; his research indicates that this is still the norm.

Hi Joel,

I'm guessing it's competitive pressure.

The cost of building a 'fuelie' motor can be a couple hundred
bucks (or more) higher than a 'carb' version.  [1]

For an entry level biker, that kind of cash difference can be a
deal breaker.  So the manufacturers will stick with the cheaper
technology to keep the cost down and the price competitive.

HTH,
RonL.

[1] True for boat junk.  Prolly similar for bikes.  May be too
small a percentage of total price to matter much on a car ...
or it may be cheaper than trying to hit emission regulations with
a carb motor.