[thechat] France's new president

Roger Austin raustin3 at nc.rr.com
Wed May 9 18:06:35 CDT 2007

Stéphane Deschamps wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> This is not the most glorious hour of our country, but we're a number of
> people who do not agree with this new radical president.
>
> Many friends of mine have written articles in French, I did one in
> English if anyone wants to read it:
> <http://www.nota-bene.org/France-s-radical-turn-to-the-right>

  Many people in the US have no idea that France had an election.
Most people outside of the government areas and academia really
couldn't care less about it. I think those that paid attention
probably did so since there was a woman running. That seemed to
be the main attraction from the media, but you may see the same
thing across the EU. Every time there was an article it had her
splashed across the page. Maybe the fellow wasn't very photogenic.

  It would be interesting to know more about the general reaction of
the French populace. There is an undercurrent of folks who like W,
and a vocal group who find him extremely offensive. I would not be
shocked to see the next US president come from a group that may be
worse than W (in my opinion,) but I was pleasantly surprised at the
congressional elections so there is hope for the US long term.

  I don't know much about your new president, but France doesn't have
that great of a track record. From what I have seen, the last couple
of presidents have been mediocre at best. That is an opinion from
someone who is far removed from the daily issues in your country
so it isn't worth much. I would welcome your opinion on him as well
as the last few.

  Can you give us some worthwhile (English or American language)
articles on him that would give us a view of him and his policies?
Do you think that his policies will have a direct and possibly
negative or positive affect on your life?

  Good luck, Roger

--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.