[thechat] France's new president

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon May 14 15:17:29 CDT 2007

On 14 May 2007, at 02:15, Roger Austin wrote:

> All problems have
> simple answers to Bush.

Echoed of course in:

MODERATOR

Governor Ritchie, many economists have stated that the tax cut, which
is centrepiece of your economic agenda, could actually harm the
economy. Is now really the time to cut taxes?

RITCHIE

You bet it is. We need to cut taxes for one reason-- the American
people know how to spend their money better than the federal
government does.

MODERATOR

Mr. President, your rebuttal.

BARTLET

There it is.

[on TV] That's the ten-word answer my staff's been looking for for
two weeks. There it is. Ten-word answers can kill you in political
campaigns. They're the tip of the sword. Here's my question: What are
the next ten words of your answer? Your taxes are too high? So are
mine. Give me the next ten words. How are we going to do it? Give me
ten after that, I'll drop out of the race right now. Every once in a
while... every once in a while, there's a day with an absolute right
and an absolute wrong, but those days almost always include body
counts. Other than that, there aren't very many un-nuanced moments in
leading a country that's way too big for ten words.

Cheers
Martin

 > http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/
Sell Cloth Nappies from your website: