[thechat] Taxonomic ... Auction?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Mon Sep 24 14:06:13 CDT 2007

Joel D Canfield noted:

>>Um, they're charging money, right? It's not 'a direct path', it's 'a
revenue source.'

Charging money for the rights to name the critter is more direct than
naming a new species after the Prince's favorite and then sucking up to
the Prince looking for more money.  It is pretty much the same thing.
Just seems a little less circuitous and more than a little more vulgar.
(IMO)

>>Anyone wanna name my butt cheeks? They're going for $50,000 each. No,
no
>>tattoos; just official documentation with gold seals, etc.

Eh?  Joel, Joel, Joel!  Just donate them to charity, claim the tax
deduction, and be done with it already.
We'll all be right, uh, _behind_ you at the audit.
That *is* a pretty creative way to finance that new Mini Clubman though.

>>How 'bout this particular biting louse?
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strigiphilus_garylarsoni

Awesome!  I'm a fan of Gary's work too!
(If you haven't yet, take five to check out work from Steven Pastis and
from Darby Conley.  Fun stuff.)

>>(DO NOT ask why *you* made me think of a biting louse . . . )
One thing that I *have* learned is that it is sometimes best to redirect
one's curiosity away from certain lines of inquiry!

Ooooo, Look!  Shiny!!   ;-)
RonL.