[thechat] Sky Picnic

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sat Jan 19 19:44:14 CST 2008

Martin Burns wrote:
> [snip]
>
> *shrug* I think pay channels on DTT is A Bad Idea all round, but the
> horse is long bolted on that one. Take it up with OfCom I would, mate.

Ofcom isn't CamelCased :)  Also it's up to Ofcom whether it goes ahead
or not; I hope not.

> Plus, I'd wait for the full details to be announced before I'd slate
> it out of hand...

What's to know other than timeshared MPEG2 channels replacing Sky News,
Sky Sports News and Sky Three on Freeview, removing ~ 10m ad seats from
BSkyB's revenue, channels encrypted using different technology from Top
Up TV, thus nullifying the smartcard capability of every ONdigital / ITV
Digital and TUTV/Setanta box in the country in terms of receiving
Picnic.  The timeshare looks shit - it's mainly why TUTV wasn't as
successful as it could have been - the channels look shit, and the
requirement for new set top boxes to receive MPEG4 stuff later on is
fucking lunacy.

There's a working, stable, deployed DVB-T standard which Freeview in
their sanity decided to keep when ITV Digital went under.  There are now
millions of boxes, a lot of them now with recording capability, and TVs
using DVB-T to receive Freeview.  How many people realistically are
going to throw that out to buy a Picnic box to get them some timeshared
channels?  *And* they *still* lose Sky News, Sky Sports News and Sky
Three - Picnic doesn't magically restore them for Picnic subscribers.

Clusterfuck.  I'd sack whoever approved the idea.  Golden clusterfuck.
But somehow typical of Sky's hit-miss-hit-miss deployment strategy, and
their intention to fragment the digital television market in their
favour, as if owning DSAT in the UK wasn't big enough for them.

-n