[thechat] Guitar Stuff

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Fri Mar 7 21:19:00 CST 2008

I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a "GOOD" musician, and I can't
jam for sh*t.... but I do feel that being taught to sight-read at a very
young age actually hindered my development, because I was so focused on
READING and not enough on FEELING (which includes hearing).  But that
may just be ME.  So I kind of do the opposite now... I don't have a real
professional musician mentality... I have a rock mentality.

I think the other thing sight-reading does, is it tells you a certain
way to play something.  Like, if I want to play a song, I want to play a
song MY WAY.  Not the RIGHT WAY.  Again, that's a philosophy thing, but
ultimately, if you want to be a songWRITER (which I am) I think it's the
way to go.  You can still play along with people, if you can count, and
if you learn notes/positions and chords.

My favorite rock musicians are very unique guitar players.  And I have
become that way myself.  NO ONE would hire me in their band.  But I've
taken that and run with it...  again... just ME.

Other people, REAL MUSICIANS... can play music as directed.  But I just
love the child mind, the mind that wonders "what can I do with this that
sounds good to ME???"  not "what am I SUPPOSED to do with this?"

That to me, is the essence of rock and roll.  Child mind + rule breaking.

Erika