[thechat] Stiffed :(

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 09:11:45 CDT 2008

> Fine. So make it not a bluff. It's not hard.

Oh. I was chatting about this just to hear some sympathy. Never thought
I would get advice as good as this. :)

> Read
> http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/business_advice/sales_marketing/maximise_sales/soga.htm
> http://yurel.com/wp57

2nd link fails.

> When you write to them. refer to the Sale of Goods & Services Act of
> 1994, and if the polite and nasty emails don't work, threaten them
> with instructing an English solicitor to obtain a County Court
> Judgement against them. Getting one of these is fairly well known as
> having the effect of completely knackering their chances of getting
> any credit from any lender for 3 years.

I hadn't even THOUGHT of this to be honest. Although now that you
mention it, I indeed know an English solicitor.

> Even if you have to go through with it[1], it'll cost you less than
> the amount you're out of pocket.
>
> Oh, and next time, remember: if it's not in writing, it's a rumour,
> and we don't work that way ;-)

I used to require contracts and even payment up front but I don't like
that, just because I'm more relaxed than that. Usually it works out, but
you are right, I certainly will learn from this lesson...

I am going to write to the client right now, this time while not yet
threatening (to still provide him the chance to save face), very firm
and very clear.

Thanks!

Fred