[thechat] Help me name my lounge

Madhu Menon chef at shiokfood.com
Tue May 27 00:35:43 CDT 2008

(Resending 'cause the last message got stuck in the filter due to the
attachment.)

Hello folks.

I am going to abuse posting privilege here and use this list's brainpower
for personal gain. :)

As some of you may know, I am in the process of relocating my restaurant
and lounge. The reasons are that my rent period at the current place is
expiring, I'm still in debt, and the proposed Metro system train station
is going to
be constructed right next to the present site.

I've found an excellent location for the new place right before a big
office block
where 60000 people work, so it should get me some decent business.
I've taken two floors in a new building:
one for my restaurant and the other for my cocktail lounge.

Here's where I need help. I'm still wondering what to name my new
cocktail lounge. My old cocktail lounge was only about 500 sq ft, so I
never bothered to give it a separate name. The new place, however, is
three times bigger, is on its own floor, and even has a separate
entrance. The look is very different from the restaurant. While
Shiok the restaurant will keep its focus on fine dining South-east Asian
food, the lounge will serve a predominantly starter-oriented menu with
dishes from all over the world, or "whatever Madhu feels like making for
you". :)

We wanted the lounge to be an after-hours hangout for all the people who
work in the offices and tech parks in the vicinity. We've gone with a
"natural" theme for the place. It has a waterfall of sorts on one wall,
and a place for a live singer in another corner.

So do you have any ideas for a name? It needs to be simple, not
pretentious, and not some foreign name nobody can pronounce right.

Winning suggestions will get a meal cooked by yours truly personally,
and a few drinks to go along with it. Or at least a promissory note to that
effect if you ever visit my part of the world.

Thanks,

Madhu

--
Shiok Far-eastern Cuisine