[thechat] Old Music --> wuz --> RE: OMD

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Tue Jun 3 12:00:35 CDT 2008

When I was out trying to peddle my CD to independent record shops, the
guy who owns Green Noise Records (that's a record shop... he also owns a
punk label called Dirtnap Records) told me that in his shop, vinyl
outsells CDs 5-1... and online, vinyl outsells CDs 10-1.  Granted, this
is a niche store (punk rockers -- I guess they like to collect vinyl or
they are just old)

This month's Rolling Stone (no, I don't buy that godawful rag I pilfer
it out of my brother's mailbox when it looks like it contains something
good and actually there is some good stuff this month dotted in between
the "top 100 guitar songs of all time") has an article on the resurgence
of vinyl, which I guess has been just the past couple of years... but
still a niche.

I bought a used turntable back in 2000 cheap, but sold it again, simply
because I live in a shoebox and my circa 1996 CD/cassette boombox is
about all I have space for... but you know what... there are a LOT OF
GOOD $3 RECORDS out there.  But me, I've always been the type to find an
ubercheap record and take it home and play it, rather than to actually
seek stuff out.  A lot of that is a financial thing, some of it is just
sheer ignorance.  Even a blind pig finds a nut every so often, and if
the nuts are only $1-3... you can afford to root around.

Erika