[thechat] Setting Up a File Server

Ben Dyer radicalbender at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 09:58:33 CDT 2008

Not really on-topic for thelist, so hopefully someone can help me out here. :)

I'm looking at setting up a file server for our small, but growing web
development firm.  However, I'm not a serious hardware or server guy
(I can get by), so I'm looking for a little advice as to what I should
be looking for.  We've got a mixed environment of Windows PCs and
Macs, but one of the primary uses of the box will be to host different
Subversion repositories (we're currently remotely hosting them).  So,
I'm thinking Linux, but it's been a long while since I've dabbled with
that, so does anyone have a good recommendation as far as distros go?

Also, I'm considering just building this box so I can max it out with
the biggest HDs I can find (and run RAID1 on it).  Any specific
hardware considerations I might want to take into account?

Basically, I'm looking for a simple setup and something I don't have
to maintain heavily.

I know there are some server gurus out there.  Can somebody help?  Thanks!

--Ben

--
Radical Bender
http://www.radicalbender.com/