[thechat] bizness stuff (was RE: Celtic tunes on a Chapman stick (moved to thechat; was RE: [xforum] Challenging Drupal: Put up or shut up))

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 15:28:16 CDT 2008

On 15 Oct 2008, at 20:26, ekm at seastorm.com wrote:

> Also, how to do $foo with (race/nationality/religion)

Oh yeah, for sure!

Day job now consists of managing a team of 40-odd guys from & in
India, with varying degrees of exposure to UK culture & working
practises, in co-ordination with a JFDI-cultured client who
(themselves admit that) they need a dose of thoughtful control.

I've also worked in a team combining a US-based, assertive go-getting
project leader with a bunch of Dutch guys who really did feel a
compulsion to sit down and talk about everything.

And another one with UK staff in a Japanese company (client staff were
all UK, but the corporate culture was very Japanese - all Nemawashi
and Kaisen). The subtle inflections to the word "Yes" drove me mad!

And another one with a German project manager wondering why he just
can't order UK people to do stuff.

And working in Switzerland was *weird* - the rules-compliance infects
you to the extent where you really can't jaywalk against a red light,
even at 23:00 with no traffic for miles. Or if you can, you at least
feel bad about it for a while.

Cheers
Martin