[thechat] Hiding from Elections Now

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Oct 26 13:36:41 CDT 2008

On 26 Oct 2008, at 17:27, John Handelaar wrote:

> 2008/10/26 Roger Austin <raustin3 at nc.rr.com>:
>> How do
>> you outside the US view this? Are your political ads as vile?
>
> The UK and Ireland both have blanket bans on political TV adverts, and
> draconian restrictions on campaign spending (in Britain, for example,
> a candidate for MP is restricted to about £7500 during the period
> between the election being called and polling day).  Third-party
> election campaign spending designed to impact a particular
> constituency race is a criminal offence.
>
> We look at the US with some degree of horror and smugness, then.

Although not always deservedly, as the Boingy place pointed out:
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/10/22/new-democrat-new-dan.html

Also, those supporting reform of the electoral process in general, and
funding of election campaigns in particular (of whatever political
flavour) are tremendously impressed with the Obama campaign's ability
to generate a mass movement on the ground, and funding through small
donations.

while a senior member of each of the 2 UK main parties have been
entertained on one of the top 50 yachts in the world[1], owned by a
Russian aluminium oligarch. One was EU trade commissioner at the time
with responsibility for import tariffs, and the other is said to have
discussed a donation to his party.

Cheers
Martin

[1] Comedy value: Michael Heseltine described it as 'rather a modest
affair' which probably says something about the style in which he's
used to being entertained.