[thechat] people who work weekends: a rant

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Nov 2 12:05:03 CST 2008

On 2 Nov 2008, at 17:49, Matt Warden wrote:

>> e. because on top of all this, they tend to put on a huge show, and
>> do a
>> holier than thou dance should you refuse to join them in the
>> silliness.
>
> Ok, now I get what your beef is. I agree that the show is annoying.
> And, to be honest, being the recipient of such a show is just
> insulting. If I can't realize that extra hours would have had to be
> put in to get A, B, and C done, then either (a) I suck as a mgr or (b)
> it shouldn't have taken that long to get done.

Or (c) you hit problems you weren't anticipating, and even with the
best risk management in the world, the fixed deadline won't shift. And
the existing people working extra hours is a hell of a lot more
efficient than adding new people

or (d) you're doing stuff that goes beyond the everyday delivery and
makes life better in the long term. Score double if that thing is best
achieved in a quiet environment.

Cheers
Martin