[thechat] voter turnout

erik mattheis zero at gozz.com
Tue Nov 4 00:39:51 CST 2008

I'm in MN, which has same-day registration.

I've been door-knocking in a MN precinct that generally votes 80% DFL. There
are are a few streets which have a definite Republican lean in my territory.

I've not encountered a single Obama voting household to be anything but
completely excited about showing up and voting for the perceived MN winner.
My interactions with McCain supporters have been roughly evenly split
between three groups - enthusiastic McCain supporters, disheartened McCain
supporters and impolite McCain supporters who closed the door before I could
engage them. Well, the self descried" independents have been the most
verbally abrasive.

Repeating and most importantly perhaps, I've not met a single Obama
supporter who wasn't excited about showing up and voting - complacency in
the face of an inevitable Obama win has not registered with me even once out
of hundreds of knocks. From my face-to-face experience the conventional
wisdom holds true people are eager to vote for the perceived winner and many
are reluctant to vote for the perceived loser.

Written a few more posts about this on my blog --- http://fearofclowns.com/

An exhausted. I bought new underwear and socks on the way home instead of
being faced with laundry. The thing that drove me was wanting to feel like I
did all I could in my assigned territory in the unlikely event Obama loses
MN by a handful of votes.

- Erik

--
Erik Mattheis

Politics, hydroponics, poison frogs and elephant rampages
http://fearofclowns.com/
612 377 21272