[thechat] tricky Yankee speech (was RE: Knife-man found inBusinessWeek)

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Fri Nov 7 09:36:10 CST 2008

"Joel D Canfield" <joel at bizba6.com> wrote:
>> They use a similar language so you can make out what they are
>> saying most of the time.
>
> that's purty darn funny, Roger.
>
> when we moved from California to Texas, I told people I was from
> Wisconsin (I was born there) and leaned on the 'oot' and 'eh' as much as
> I could (they're natural, but muffled after 40 years away from home.)
>
> funny how Texans react to Californians. I mean, they don't like anyone
> who's not from Texas

I spend my childhood in Texas (Garland, near Dallas) and always heard
everyone (adults) complaining about "those damned yankess", who were
flocking down there in droves at the time (still are) ...how rude they are,
how they drive too fast, talk too fast...

Then I married a Jersey Girl and moved w/her back to Jersey (almost 20
years ago, now!)  Whenever I tell people from the Northeast I'm from Texas,
they love me!  Everyone in NYC seems to know someone who's moved away to
Texas.  To them it's like dying and going to heaven or something.  Now when
I visit home, my family and friends all tell me I talk like a yankee, now.

The yankees only tell me I talk like a Texan when I drink.  Or sing.

And when I drink and *then* sing... fuggetaboutit.

-dave