[thechat] tricky Yankee speech (was RE: Knife-man foundinBusinessWeek)

Joel D Canfield joel at bizba6.com
Fri Nov 7 10:01:45 CST 2008

> Now when
> I visit home, my family and friends all tell me I talk like a yankee,
now.

> The yankees only tell me I talk like a Texan when I drink.  Or sing.
>
> And when I drink and *then* sing... fuggetaboutit.

my buddy Mike came with us from Texas when we moved back to San Diego.
within a year he'd almost entirely lost his Texas drawl (TexOk,
actually; he was born in Oklahoma then moved south.)

he and I made a trip back to Texas five years later, and I swear, as we
crossed the state line, the drawl came back. he didn't even realize it.