[thechat] Mumbai India Attacks

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Wed Nov 26 16:45:51 CST 2008

2008/11/26 Roger Austin <raustin3 at nc.rr.com>:
>  I was wondering if Madhu had any insight on these attacks in
> Mumbai. What is all this about? Anyone else have any ideas?
> --

Too early to tell, but from here it looks like a Madrid/London-style
fundamentalist "spectacular" [1] rather than anything specifically
related to Indian politics [2].

That they're rounding up people holding passports from countries with
troops in Iraq and  Afghanistan just adds to that impression.  The
multiple vectors in a compressed timeframe is the biggest clue though.

jh

[1] A word used by the Provisional IRA in past times to describe major
media-effective atrocities
[2] Yes, everything involving Islamist terrorism and India is in some
way connected to Kashmir, I'm just saying that from current
information that seems to be of tertiary relevance this time.