[thechat] playing games

Erika Meyer ekm at seastorm.com
Thu Jan 8 11:57:44 CST 2009

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> Actually, my musicianship is very much like my technical skills --

same here.

shifting topic a bit... you know I had always so much baggage as a kid
knowing I would never be a good musician because music is so tied to
math and I suck at math.  I mean, I SUCK at math.  I would say to the
point of learning-disabled...(ADD, probably)

What I didn't realize is that you don't have to be a good musician to
be a good musician.  By which I mean, you can make up for so much with
creativity, intuition, persistence and emotion.  I wish I'd figured that
out in my teens (I did figure it out by my 30s)

It's weird now to be a mom of a kid who is above average at math but
with a diagnosed READING disability (dyslexia, most likely)

and realizing how much of ...GENIUS... is in fact a matter of creative
compensation for inherent weakness/disability.  "Disability" is a
misnomer, I think, and a result of focusing on lack, a result of valuing
the average, rather than the exceptional.

Erika