[thechat] playing games

Erika Meyer ekm at seastorm.com
Thu Jan 8 15:26:53 CST 2009

Martin Burns wrote:
> (who can play guitar along with pretty much any Scottish or Irish
> tune, and know where it's going in the next 8 bars, whether or not
> he's heard it before)

here's how I like write songs: set up this kind of expectation, make
sure you've established it, then defy it (melodic or rhythmically)...
just long enough... then fall back into it.  To keep people from getting
too smug. ;)  (side effect: exasperates rhythm players.)

I think that folk songs are predictable in part because they were
communications (news/stories/commentaries) set to music, and the
relative predictability of a ballad form making them easy to remember
and pass along.

Erika
(who is currently amusing herself by blowing on thechat threads as if
they were spiderwebs, aloft)