[thechat] how do you buy a PC?

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 06:23:19 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Erika Meyer <ekm at seastorm.com> wrote:

> <Laptop wants, needs, and opinions>
>
> Erika

Off the top of my head, a few websites first for you to look at:

The Nice: http://tinyurl.com/yrd3py
The Cheap: http://www.pricewatch.com/notebooks/
Alternative: http://www.tigerdirect.com/

Of course there are your Dell alternatives, etc.

Two gigs of memory should be more than enough if you get one with a video
card other than the built-in model (Intel, Via, etc). You could probably do
with 4 gigs and run it well enough off the onboard video (I've done it with
Everquest 2 and C&C 3 on my Dell Inspiron w/ same sort of setup), but I
wouldn't recommend it because they usually don't contain the special shader
processes, etc.

I don't remember the specs for Sims 2. It's been forever since I've seen it,
but I assume it would work well enough on a decent laptop with the onboard
video.

The best I could find iin your price range was a Compaq. While I know
they've had a crap history with me, it comes with 2 gigs of ram, AMD chip,
and a decent Nvidia card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834107024

--
-Jack Timmons