[thechat] Hello? Anyone Out There?

Erika Meyer ekm at seastorm.com
Sun Jan 25 13:13:08 CST 2009

Joel D Canfield wrote:

> came down through the redwoods, which the Little One doesn't really
> remember, because we came out at Crescent City which is her first memory
> of the ocean

IMO the best drive thru Oregon is not the inland route but US 101,
especially between Newport and North Bend.  The southern Oregon coast is
  gorgeous.

Also, Highway 1, north of SF and/or the "lost coast" which is
essentially a bunch of dirt roads down the southern Humboldt Coast (Cape
Mendocino/Shelter Cove area).  But I like the ocean a lot.  The Lost
Coast is a place where the mountains basically meet butt-up against the
coast, so you may find yourself looking hundreds of feed directly down
into the Pacific.  Also, in the summer, the weather is balmy/warm there,
whereas on most of the coastal areas, it's usually cool/windy.

Lost Coast and Trinity mountains a great for for more adult-style
backpacking expeditions.

of course in recent years I've developed an somewhat irrational fear of
mountain lions so maybe I'll stick to the beaches.  I'm not scared of
sand snakes or bears.

Erika