[thechat] Hello? Anyone Out There?

Joel D Canfield Joel at CommonsenseEntrepreneur.com
Mon Jan 26 09:42:20 CST 2009

> My early '80s Sacrademento experience centered around a nondescript
> strip mall bar that regularly hosted bands like X, the Contractions,
> Lords of the New Church -- truly amazing. I only lived there for a
> year or so, though, before a better job in San Jose drew me away...

after dealing with a cover charge for every hack garage band in San
Diego, we were pleasantly surprised to find free live music on every
street corner up here. except in Roseville, where there are exactly
three places I know of. but drive three miles any direction and walk
into almost any coffee shop, bar, or little restaurant, and there's
someone playing. it's great. really amped up my own musical aspirations.

nobody very big plays locally; they do Reno and San Francisco. if they
play 'in Sacramento' that means Arco Arena, only an hour from here (I
guess it's closer to Sac)

but for grassroots stuff, it's great. Grass Valley and Nevada City, you
have to dodge the guitar cases just to walk down the street on a Friday
night.