[thechat] No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue Apr 7 09:00:01 CDT 2009

As usual, Matt Warden said lots of good stuff!   ;-)

Dear Ann Landers ... Uh ...  I mean "Hi Matt"!!!

Sound advice! I hear what you are saying.  (Heck!  I've even taken a crowbar and pried at least one of my ears open cuz I probably didn't want to hear all of it.  Shouting at idiots can be sooooo much more visceral!)

But I'm still a bit curious here.  I know, uh, 'this guy', who certainly feels frustrated.  He may be overlooking a potential solution.  But he doesn't see his situation as being all that simple.  He is a technical guy.  But he sits on the user side of the house.  So while he has to sit in with the IT folks and explain business requirements and potential solutions, he has to answer to the business.  Sometimes the IT guys don't "get it".  (Or, as is more often the case, they aren't allowed to "get it" because of a clueless decision that has already been cast in stone by their upper management.)

That is when things can turn ugly.

As a consumer of the system, he has an obligation to *his* management to point out what is going to work as well as to point out what he thinks isn't going to work.

Maybe if there were some way to turn 'weasel-wording' into a game?  Bonus point for finding the least confrontational way to say "this project is utter shit"?

Please help,
some guy RonL. knows