[thechat] No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 09:58:52 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Joel D Canfield <Joel at bizba6.com> wrote:

> I'm also fairly surprised that you, um, I mean, this guy, is still
> working for a huge faceless corporation when he's bright, personable,
> driven, and obviously entrepreneurial material. where, y'know, he could
> be the buckstop.
>
> joel

While directed at the person Ron knows, I actually ask myself this, too. I
always come up with the same answer: That steady paycheck looks damn fine in
my bank account each month, and I couldn't bear bringing hardship on my
family if I wasn't able to succeed.

You may be in the situation, and got past that factor and could offer
strong, willing advice on how to do it. Now that I've finally reached the
top of where I can go in this company (short of becoming a board member), I
find myself even less inclined, since I can do what I need to here.

I just wanted to discuss it, namely because I'm sure a lot of people feel
that way, and just weren't able to work up the courage for it. Which, after
listening to me, is retarded. Jeopardize my job by making waves? Sure thing.
Quit my job to freelance and not have to worry about making waves? Too
risky.

In the end, I still get paid in the first, and I know when to stop so that I
don't lose my job.

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com