[thechat] Hot Tuna (was RE: No Good Deed Goes Unpunished)

Joel D Canfield Joel at BizBa6.com
Wed Apr 8 10:13:38 CDT 2009

Hassan Schroeder noted:

> >>And yes, hearing Papa John Creach in person was amazing;
> >>rewrote my mental map of "violin" ...

and RonL. continued

> Is this a word-association thing?  Jean-Luc is to violin as Jeff Beck
is
> to strat?

I hope you're also spending some time with the man who invented jazz
violin, Stephane Grappelli (Django's cohort.)

Blue Moon. Nobody else makes it sound like this

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhB5qAq7OkI

(That bass player just about has it figured out.)

By the time of this 1963 clip, Grappelli had been recording for 30 years

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NrctwTVA7A

The earliest stuff of his I've got, from the early 30s, still amazes me.

When he played Humphrey's by the Bay in San Diego 10 years ago, I didn't
go. He died two months later.

joel