[thechat] Frustration

Joel D Canfield Joel at BizBa6.com
Thu Apr 9 10:40:14 CDT 2009

> Taking suggestions on best practices of calming aggression in the
office.

calming yours, or someone else's? are you talking about making it stop,
or learning to deal with it?

read Crucial Conversations; great book, even if you're already a good
communicator. really helped me get past "I wanna be right" to "I wanna
fix the problem."

if the frustration in the subject line comes from knowing that things
should be better/different, start by accepting that being dissatisfied
by less-than-ideal processes or performance is a good thing. people who
settle aren't making progress.

but if this is about someone else's aggression making you feel attacked
or threatening your professional appearance, it's really important to
know if this is a personal thing you can deal with on a personal level,
or a professional attack which needs to be addressed professionally.

whatever the details, it's really unpleasant to have to deal with
nonsense at work when you'd really rather be making cool things happen
with fun people who care. something near 90% of the folks in the US are
unhappy with their work. and that makes *me* unhappy on their behalf.

joel