[thechat] LCD Screens

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 08:04:05 CDT 2009

I happened to be today at the optometrist and I asked him if he agrees
with what I have heard that LCDs are easier on the eyes than CRTs. He
said he is not aware of that and, on the contrary, said there is an
issue with LCDs. He pointed out, and showed me, that the image appears
to sunken in beneath the surface of the physical screen. The eye can
catch a reflection off the screen and tend to focus on that, thus
creating either more work or less focus with regard to the text you
are trying to read.

He said some people affix a sticker to the corner of the screen to
make it more clear to the eye that the two "surfaces" are independent.

I see on my CRT that my desktop appears sunken in a good bit farther
actually than on his LCD. I also never heard of this sticker thing,
nor do I see anything popping up on Google.

Well anyhow my new glasses are certainly much better than the old
ones. Now I can see past 5 feet. :)