[thechat] Should I Buy LCD?

Barry Woolgar barry at burnthebook.co.uk
Wed Apr 29 03:20:34 CDT 2009

Hello!

> I looked at two different 32" monitors and both say:
> Maximum Resolution 1366 x 768

Are you sure you're not looking at TVs? As that sounds like 'HD' resolution,
and would explain the 'downgrade'. Even HDTV is low resolution compared to
your average PC monitor.

I've just had a quick look at Ebuyer and found this Samsung 23" 2048x1152
widescreen TFT for £150:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158908

There's also a 30" Dell on there for £1100 which does 2560x1600 if you're
really splashing out :) I doubt that makes financial sense tho.

Of course, if you're already using two monitors, you might want to go for
two TFTs. I'm rocking two 19" 1280x1024 which work very well for my webdev,
although I appreciate you may want to do more than that.

I haven't been able to do the math on viewable area's but pixel densities
have gone up a lot since you bought your 17" monitors, so you'll get more
screen estate but in a smaller viewable area (this may not be so good on
your eyes depending on what you're doing)

> Any other thoughts on ... if LCDs really are easier on the eyes

I've never had a very expensive CRT, but experience with midrange displays
is that the jump from CRT to LCD was great for my eyes. Much easier on the
eye, and I always felt less strained on the LCD (back when I had both).

Anyway, hope that helps!

Barry