[thechat] Should I Buy LCD?

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 03:30:45 CDT 2009

>> I looked at two different 32" monitors and both say:
>> Maximum Resolution 1366 x 768
>
> Are you sure you're not looking at TVs? As that sounds like 'HD' resolution,
> and would explain the 'downgrade'. Even HDTV is low resolution compared to
> your average PC monitor.

No, they said "monitor" like this
http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=9360571&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=23-35242227-2
for example. Unless I am misunderstanding.

> Of course, if you're already using two monitors, you might want to go for
> two TFTs. I'm rocking two 19" 1280x1024 which work very well for my webdev,
> although I appreciate you may want to do more than that.

Two reasons why not. Aside from that I can't find "square" 19 inch
LCDs, part of the problem is my dual head card is a headache with OS's
aside from Windows and I am trying to move away from Windows. I only
use this machine for dev work (no games no videos etc.) so a simple
video card is all I need.

But my store here will sell me a 32" LCD for $875, which is not too
bad. Would be PRETTY BIG too. :)

> I've never had a very expensive CRT, but experience with midrange displays
> is that the jump from CRT to LCD was great for my eyes. Much easier on the
> eye, and I always felt less strained on the LCD (back when I had both).

Thank you!