[thechat] Network clue needed ...

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Mon Jul 13 08:59:46 CDT 2009

Ron,

> Here is a simplimified view of the network:
> 	- one combination DSL modem/router from AT&T feeding into
> 	- one five way Cisco hub/switch thingie [*not* a router] with
> 	- one Win XP laptop attached by Ethernet and
> 	- one Ubuntu desktop wired as well.

> Is there a setting somewhere (hopefully on the Ubuntu box) that I
 > can set to make it 'play nice' and quit stealing the XP's lunch money?

I would set the modem/router (which I assume is the source of your
DHCP addresses) to only offer addresses within a restricted range,
say .101-.249, and then give the Ubuntu box a fixed address outside
of that.

This is what I have at home, with fixed boxes (servers, ip printers)
plus DHCP boxes (various laptops) and it works fine.

If you don't have configuration access to the modem/router, then I
would try giving the Ubuntu box a fixed address anyway, higher than
the default one the laptop is being assigned.

HTH,
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com
webtuitive design ===  (+1) 408-621-3445   === http://webtuitive.com
twitter: @hassan