[thechat] Network clue needed ...

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 15:41:23 CDT 2009

Yep, mine (Ubuntu Jaunty) says

martin at canna:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Being Ubuntu of course, you don't need to go near CLI shenanigans. You can go to
System>Preferences>Network Connections
edit the appropriate connection and go to the IPv4 tab, where you select Method: Automatic(DHCP)

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:33:03 +0100, John Handelaar <john at userfrenzy.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 15:22, Luther, Ron <Ron.Luther at hp.com> wrote:
>
>> Edit /etc/network/interfaces
>>        Auto eth0
>>        Iface eth0 inet static
>>        Address 192.168.0.100
>>        Netmask 255.255.255.0
>>        Network 192.168.0.0
>>        Broadcast 192.168.0.255
>>        Gateway 192.168.0.1
>>

>> So change that 'address' line to 192.168.0.202 ???
>>

> That'll almost certainly work.
>
> Also an option: remove *everything* after 'Auto eth0' and replace it with
>
>        iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> (sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart when you're do

Editing via GUI as above should do that for you.

Cheers
Martin

--
"Names, once they are in common use   | Spammers: Send me email to
 quickly become mere sounds, their    | -> yumyum at easyweb.co.uk
 etymology being buried, like so many | my filter. Currently killing over
 of the earth's marvels, beneath the  | 99.9% of all known spams stone dead.
 dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie     | http://nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam