[thechat] what's the most likely fix for my buzzing amp?

Joel Canfield joel at bizba6.com
Fri Nov 13 17:29:13 CST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 3:22 PM, aardvark <evolt at roselli.org> wrote:

> external power source? if you practice in the basement (many do), is
> it near your washer/dryer and catching interference from the 220
> line?

location doesn't seem to matter; I have a dedicated music room where I
usually practice, but I used it at two gigs this week and it buzzed at both.
could still be power, since I've got fluorescent lights in the music room
(not my fault, I promise) and who knows what's going on in the walls of the
two coffee shops.

I should plug it in out in the back yard and see how it sounds. maybe try my
buddy Dave's cables (since mine are of the $3 for 20' variety . . . )

> or do you suck at playihg an instrument and you just think it's
> line noise?

ho ho. and also ha. the unintentional noises I make are much more
percussive, often sounding like a large-ish person tripping over a power
cord and banging the head of their instrument against the glass cabinet
doors in their music room. theoretically speaking.