[thechat] network inventory

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Feb 11 13:31:00 CST 2010

On 10 Feb 2010, at 05:13, Jeremy Weiss wrote:

> I was asked to write a script that would do an inventory of the computers on
> our network and record all the applicable information for each. The person
> making the request seemed to think it would be something I could whip, but
> I'm not sure where to even start. How do I go about querying each system to
> find the information. All my Google searches have turned up are paid
> products. Nearly all of the computers will be Windows. Is there a API or
> some such that I could connect to?  Do you know of a better place to post
> such questions?

Start with NMAP, I would... I *think* it runs on Windows, but even if not, as long as the machine you run it *from* has it, then it doesn't matter about the others, as long as they respond to network calls in a sane way.

Of course, firewalls on the machines may make the info you get back a bit limited.

Cheers
Martin