[thechat] Lights

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Thu Mar 18 16:08:00 CDT 2010

Jack Timmons noted:

>>At least you haven't connected the positive and negative on a car
>>battery with a wrench you were holding while leaning on a car. It was
>>genius, really.

Heh.  No, I haven't done that.  But I *was* upside-down up with my shoulders in the footwell working under the dash on my old Celica trying to install my fancy Alpine separates while carefully following the instructions:

- Find a live power wire to connect to the receiver.
- Hmmmm.  This wire looks live.
* <cuts with metal household scissors /> Yeow! <sparks fly />
- Yup, I reckon that one was live alright!

Then I opened the hood and disconnected the positive battery cable.  Then I crawled back up under the dashboard and looked at the wire again.  Then I crawled back out and disconnected the negative battery cable too!

That was a great stereo though.

Cheers,
RonL.

(I don’t think I'd be willing to go anywhere near the electrics (or anything else) on these newer cars, though.)