[thechat] Looking for a waaaaay old thread from thelist

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue May 4 13:44:53 CDT 2010

Marc Seyon noted:

>>And of course the 12th character doesn't always refer to the same thing
>>across products. Blah blah headache.

Whoa!  Deja Voodoo!   I know that headache!     ;-)

I used to work for a company that made those hand-held scanner guns you see the worker-bees wandering around Wally-World with.  They were configured products.  The configuration on the sales order was stored in a 100 character field.  A "1" in the 12th character for one product might mean it has a Belgian modem.  A "1" in the 12th character of another product might mean it has a 900 mhz transmitter.

Bright idea ... and oh so loverly to work with for constructing aggregate reports.

Cheers,
RonL.