[thechat] Online Backup

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 03:03:04 CST 2010

On 1 Dec 2010, at 20:29, Luther, Ron wrote:

> * Device Restrictions.  Plan on consulting at Dell?  You may not be allowed on premise with your HP laptop or Hitachi ext-drive.  That could make it a tad difficult to access your files.  Maybe you could pull your files off a necklace full of thumb drives ... if those are allowed.  But they are not always allowed.  There are situations, such as consulting at government/military/lab/nuke plant facilities, where they may not allow people to walk on carrying a fistful of thumb drives.

I'm explicitly forbidden to carry thumb drives onto client site, for Data Security & Privacy reasons.

This kind of thing (although not my client - my current client doesn't even have anything particularly secret) is the reason why:
http://bit.ly/f66F8B

It's becoming an increasing common security regime.

Cheers
Martin